Friday, March 22, 2013

You can dance if you want to, you can leave your friends behind...or not. If you want to stand still and bring your friends, that's cool too.

(It's nice to have options)

Today I logged onto Facebook, and the first thing I saw was someone's status opposing abortion and a woman's right to choose. I scrolled down further and saw another post against gay marriage. There were several of these, each more severe than the last. Geez, so much for enjoying my breakfast with the Cap'n.

I should have just ignored them, but I, for some reason, always feel the need to stick up for everyone's rights, even though arguing with some of these people is about as efficient as trying to cook a gourmet meal using an Easy Bake Oven. I know I'll never change anyone's mind, but just like when I attempt to work out but usually get in about ten sit ups before I give up, I figure it's worth a shot and better than nothing right? I have just never understood how people seem to think they know what is best for other people, especially people they have never met.  I am a firm believer in letting people decide for themselves how they want to live their lives. 

Here's just an idea off the top of my head. If you don't like gay marriage, don't marry a person of the same sex.  If you don't believe in abortion, don't have one. If you can't stand the taste of pickles, don't eat them (more for me yay!). If you dislike tattoos, don't get one, and if you fucking hate Rihanna, don't shine bright like a diamond.  It seems like a pretty simple concept to me. 

Let's stop and really think about this for a second. Lots of Jewish people do not eat pigs, but they don't try to make it illegal for everyone. Most Indians will not eat cows, but they don't picket outside McDonald's in their free time. The next time you are about to judge someone who lives differently, imagine a world without bacon and cheeseburgers.  


If you are a (smart ass) vegetarian who was about to say how delightful that sounds, try to imagine the government forcing you to eat meat because they felt it was in your best interest to consume more protein. Sounds ridiculous right? I promise it sounds like rocket science compared to the shit I saw in my news feed earlier.

I am not so naive to think all of my opinions are the right ones, but I like to think being non-judgmental and accepting of everyone is better than the latter. You are also entitled to yours as well, but just so you know, contrary to popular belief, it is possible to have an opinion without constantly shoving it down everyone's throats. I even heard you can strongly believe in something even if someone else disagrees with you. Shocking revelation I know. 

I know I don't usually talk about political issues, but this was more of a compassion issue to me. I will return to booze and boobs jokes as planned, but I just had to put that out there.  I really care about people in general, and you should too. All kinds of people, not just the ones like you either.

Oh and hey, just a thought,  if you don't agree with what have I have to say or don't like my blog, you don't have to read it.  Pretty amazing concept huh?



3 comments:

  1. Hey! Good stuff! I got here via a friend's link on Facebook; this is the first OooStephanie I've read, but you're going into my blogroll. =)

    Now, off to find the booze and boobs jokes of which you speak!

    farrago-mish-mash.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete