Thursday, October 18, 2012

Chivalry is that you?

I have a lot of single friends, so over drinks I hear plenty of dating horror stories. On that note, guys, I have to ask…have most of you just given up? It seems nowadays some men don’t put forth any effort, and I think part of the problem is some females as well.  I said part so don’t get too excited boys…most of you are just lazy.
Living in a major city,  there is a lot of competition out there.  There are millions of people here, thousands of which are good looking.  Even if you are one of the half way decent looking ones, you still have to compete with those who are taller, thinner, better dressed, with more lucrative careers, who make more money, drive better cars, and live in nicer places. The dating scene is nothing more than keeping up with the Joneses, and it is exhausting.  This is part of the reason so many people no longer date but rather hook up. One night stands are fine and dandy, but they are not going to bring you soup when you’re sick.   
I remember when I was high school, the boys who took me out came to the door, met my parents, took me out to dinner or what have you, and walked me to the door at the end of the date. It seems lately most guys meet a girl, and instead of calling to ask her out, they text her (it’s impersonal and lazy, and if you do this, you should be ashamed of yourself). They then offer to meet up somewhere and end up splitting the bill…on the first date.  How is this okay? I’m sorry, I’m all for equality in relationships, but a first date is not a relationship.
You are either trying to get to know her better or pursue a girl you already like, and having her meet you somewhere to buy her own dinner is not the way to make her fall head over heels in love with you.  If you are taking the time out of your busy schedule to spend it with her, isn’t she worth a burger or a few cocktails?  If you are only looking to play “just the tip” then you don’t need to waste your money, just hit up Flat Iron at about 3 am. If that is what you are into, God Speed. You may end up spending that extra money you saved on an emergency trip to the clinic when your penis falls off though.
Men no longer feel they need to seek out a quality woman because there are plenty of low quality ones out there who require a lot less effort.  I mean, I get it…why would you want to wine and dine a woman to get laid when you can give a give some slut at the bar a nod and take her home.  I think if more ladies played a little harder to get, men would have to try a little harder to well, get us.  No one is going to want to buy the cow when they get the sex for free. 
I can honestly say I don’t care about how much money you spend. I would rather be with a guy who will pick out all the marshmallows from a box of Lucky Charms for me, than a guy who buys me stuff. I don’t need fancy things, and if there is something I want bad enough, I can buy it for myself. I’m like a Jamaican, I’ve got five jobs Mon!
Chivalry is more about making a woman feel like a lady. Open doors, pull out chairs,  give her your jacket if she is cold, and walk on the side of the street closet to traffic…these are the things that matter most and don’t cost a penny. You don’t need to spend your whole paycheck to get a girl to like you. Sadly, a decent percent of men have forgotten this concept. Chivalry isn’t dead, it’s just in a coma, and it’s time to wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment